On Tuesday afternoon, after hours of public comment & debate, the King County Council voted 6-3 to pass a pathbreaking package of renter protections, including:
- ALL renters are protected from eviction or lease termination without a “just cause.”
- Move-in fees are capped at 1-month rent & renters can pay in installments.
- Late fees are capped at 1.5% of monthly rent.
- For rent increases greater than 3%, landlords must give 120 days notice.
- Renters on fixed incomes can change their rent due date.
- You don’t need a Social Security Number to apply for a rental home.
This legislation will protect renters in unincorporated areas of King County like Skyway and White Center, home to historically underserved Black and brown and low-income communities. It also creates a high standard that we can now work to match in cities around the county! Read more in The Stranger and The Seattle Times.
This major victory wouldn’t have been possible without sustained pressure from the Stay Housed Stay Healthy coalition & from all the TRU members and allies who sent emails, made phone calls, testified at council meetings and amplified our message on social media. THANK YOU!!! Together we make progress!!!